Thursday, July 4, 2024

ANOTHER KIND OF DOWN DAY

 Jeez I am turning into a real Debbie downer.  Honestly, don't tell Monte, but this town is getting to me.  I was looking back over my years and it's getting close to when I start thinking of moving.  Every five to seven years it hits me.

  I love moving, changing towns, changing my living accommodations.  I get restless mentally and physically.  And I am getting that feeling again.  I was hoping the last move was the last move.  But I just want to pick up sticks, get rid of everything and move...somewhere, anywhere but not here.  I have always been like this.  I moved nine times before Kevin hit kindergarten.  And I did the moving by myself.

I learned very early that due to always having a truck I was the go to to help friends move.  I didn't mind.  But when it came to ME moving....no one was there.  They were all tied up and busy.  Except for my friend Anne.  She was always there bless her heart!  She even helped me pack up a budget truck when I moved from Kamloops to Vancouver.

And that involved pushing a thousand pound heavy duty upright piano up a ramp to be tied to the very inside back of the truck.  And we carried a freezer into the back as well.  I would pack the household into scavenged boxes from the backs of grocery stores and used stored newspaper.  I don't know what poor people use for wrapping stuff now.  It was always so exciting.

But I have noticed the last move or two was much more difficult.  I needed help.  I couldn't sling stuff around like I did even five years before.  And now I know I wouldn't even be able to pack properly and move boxes around like I used to.  And my biggest problem is asking or accepting help.  I hate it.  It's a bitch getting older.  I am 7 and a half years from 80.  I gotta make the years count!!

I have used my new old stove.  OMG!!!!  What an amazing awesome difference.  I LOVE it!!!  It boils water in half the time than that other piece of crap out on the deck did.  And when you turn it down to medium or whatever, it turns down immediately and stays there.  None of this going on and off business.

But there is only one thing I didn't account for.  I have an over the stove microwave/fan combo.  And the canner is taller than the stove element to the bottom of the microwave.  Grrrrrr. (shovel list).  But......

About two months ago Walmart, online, advertised a sale.  Free Shipping and everything under ten dollars.  So I decided to look.  Needless to say I found a few useful things super cheap.

One of them was a single coil burner hot plate.  It was usually about fifty bucks, I got it for nine!!!  It's been sitting here in the box.  The other night after Monte moved the stove out of the kitchen I needed to heat up the dutch oven with the chowder in it.  I hauled it out of the fridge, plunked it on the hot plate and turned it on.  It literally had the soup boiling in two minutes!!!!  It was unbelievable.  And now after reading a bunch of canning sites, I see that a lot of people use hot plates!  And that little sucker works like a hot dam!!!  I am tempted to name it but I am not Arnie...who names absolutely everything.  I just name my vehicles.  And my enemies.  Not repeatable here mind you.

Floppy.  I have avoided discussing him.  I don't want to be 'that' person who talks endlessly about their new pet.

But....we have lots of people go in and out the front gate.  There are three of us in this house that shop almost entirely online. Endless deliveries. Consequently the front gate is always being left open and that spells trouble with a runner dog.

I need to get a fence built between the house and the fence that runs along the side of the property, blocking off the back yard.  It is huge.

That way we can kick the dog out the sliding glass door onto the deck.  He can go down to the yard and be outside some of the time.  It might cut down on the amount of hair building up in this house.  And my vacuum cleaner bags are 35 bucks a piece.  (Miele vacuum...great vacuum but super expensive parts). I find myself picking the crap out of the bag and reusing it.

I mentioned it to Monte.  I suggested that we find a fencer in town and just get them to do it or at the least get an estimate.  I was watching a soap opera the other day and their fence the person was getting done was fifteen hundred bucks.  Mine will only be about 30 feet so shouldn't be too terrible.

And guess what he said?????  His friend who makes music with him, the drummer, has a day job.  Guess what he does for a living?  He works for a fencing company!!!!  Boom!!!!  He is going to build it in two weeks, figures it will take four or five hours and will be about 500 bucks!!!!  The fairies are a'smiling down upon us!!!

Well this post is getting long and wandery.  I shall sign off now.  Take care peeps....I think of you all a lot and am grateful for you.  You guys are the best listeners in the whole world!  Teehee!!!  TTYL

'If your world doesn't allow you to dream, move to one where you can.'  Billy Idol





No comments:

Post a Comment