Friday, December 1, 2023

A RANT: FEEL FREE TO SKIP THIS

 I have a beef...a big beef and criticism of a certain group of people.  As this may include you, I can't say I am sorry.  I one hundred percent  own my opinion here.

If you are a cat owner and you let your cat outside on its own, you are, not meaning to or doing it intentionally, being negligent and ultimately cruel.   It boggles my mind how cat owners claim they love their cat like it's their kid, then every morning they chuck it out the door to go play somewhere for the day.  Seriously!!!  Well I feel you can't value that cat very much to put it in so much danger every day.

I have mentioned this before here.  I feel it bears mentioning again and if it gets through to even one cat owner I will be happy.

A dog in our neighbourhood just brutally tore a beloved cat to pieces.  That cat was in that dog's yard, a secure yard.  The dog did what dogs do and that cat lost.  Brutally.

  We have seen a cat get hit by a car and killed out front.  I know for a fact that people set nasty painful traps in their sandboxes and gardens to nail cats that crap in them.  People put out poison bait to kill them.  People catch them and drive them out into the bush and leave them.  People may not be right but when you get that fed up with neighbour's cats, well bad things happen and whose fault is it NOT?  The cat's!!!!!

In the US, cats, house cats and feral cats, kill between 1.3 and 4 billion birds a year according to Peter Marra of the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute in Washington, D.C.  Dozens of bird species have become extinct because of cats.  That fact alone should matter to cat owners.  

Many methods of control have been tried, to no avail.  Feral cats were rounded up and killed.  Sterilization campaigns haven't worked.  And now some municipalities are passing a by-law that cat owners have to keep their cats indoors and if going out they have to be kept on their property.  Like dog owners have to.  Plus they want pet owners to register their cat and apply for a special licence to NOT spay or neuter their animal.  If nothing else, once a few hefty fines are handed out, payable before you can get your cat back from the pound, the public may get the message.    And before adoption of a cat can happen, the potential adopter has to agree to keep the cat indoors, for the cat's, birds and small mammals' protection.

So my final word on this is keep your cat indoors and lobby your local government to pass a 'Safety for cats, birds and small Mammals Law'.

Love your kitty!!!!  TTYL

'I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul.'  Jean Cocteau


TRUE LOVE, I KNOW FIVE PEOPLE PERSONALLY WHO KEEP THEIR CATS INDOORS, AND THOSE CATS ARE LOVED, HAPPY, CONTENT AND SAFE.





1 comment:

  1. I agree! We see a cat on our ring camera all the time, between 1 am-3 am. We have a lot of coyotes close by. Keep them inside.

    ReplyDelete