Wednesday, June 8, 2011

conditioning

I find it amazing how strong a neuropath can be burned in your brain and how long (if ever) it takes to re-route the thinking.

In our condo here in Maui our hot water is solar heated on our roof. For whatever reason, the little box on the side of the tank where the switch is, clicks, loudly, every thirty secons. Fortunately we can't hear it down the hall in our bedroom when the door is shut. But everywhere else in this place, you can hear it.

The click is very similar to that of an oven or element on an electric stove. In fact it is pretty identical, only a bit louder. Over the few weeks we have been in this place I have been completely unable to ignore it. For fifty years this little click has not been a good thing. i am continuously thinking I have left the stove on. No matter how many times I fix my thinking, I still think the stove is on. It is totally nerve wracking. A dripping faucet is annoying, a barking dog next door is aggravating, people living over your head throwing the ball for their noisy thumping dog is disturbing.....but this clicking is driving me insane. I Keep Thinking The Stove Is On !!!!! That clicking is a warning sound. So, I am in in a perpetual state of "Oh Gee!! What Have I forgotten on the stove?!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment