Monday, June 9, 2014

LAST CHALLENGE IN MAUI

As much as I love Maui…I can't wait to get home. And today is our last full day here on the Isle of Holiday….endless holiday.  I love the pool and am going to miss it terribly, but I am sooooo ready to go home.

Aryn and Bradley left last night.  Since the last post they took themselves to the Marriott for the night, some golfing nearby the next day and we were off to Mamma's Fish House for dinner.  

The night at the Marriott they went to a restaurant there for dinner, a restaurant called Migrant.  It is owned by the same chef from Star Noodle, Sheldon, the runner up chef from Top Chef.  And…it being Aryn's birthday he came out and wished her a happy birthday and she got a picture of herself and him with his arm around her!!!  So cool.

The next night we duded up and headed off to Mamma's and it didn't disappoint.  The place is magical!!!  And thanks to a lovely gift card from my lovely sister…it didn't break the bank!  We had such a good time, its always special there.

We did finally make it out to the edge of the earth.  I had made egg salad and tuna salad and we made sandwiches and just sat and enjoyed the ocean and peacefulness.  Spod and I had a snooze and read our books.  So relaxing.

So between touring around, eating, golfing, drinking lovely wines, and watching crap tv, our time with the kids was wonderful.  We got to know Bradley a little more and we have decided that he is definitely a keeper.

Todays challenge:  crap!  I have already forgotten and I just read it…hold on, I shall go re read…………………………..oh yeah!  portion sizes.  She went into the history of how our portion sizes that we eat have become behemoth and out of control.  She then gave tips on how to be more careful…smaller plates, proper proportions.  Tips on how to measure the amounts and the foods that either need to be the size of a teaspoon or not on your plate at all.  Actually it was a kind of interesting chapter..not that it will actually make a difference to me.

I just can't wait to get home and spend the first week eating baloney sandwiches…or sammiches as Bradley says!  Plain white bread, two slices of balogna (sp?) and nothing else.  No butter.  No mustard.  No nothing.  Squash the sandwich flat and eat it.  It cleanses my system!!!

One last confession to make here:  we gave the bbq away to the guys here.  Spod and I are not really bbq people.  Although we have used it occasionally and really enjoyed it.  But we are not one of those grilling type folks.  But over the three years the bbq has seen a lot of action from the various people here.  And it makes us so happy that that thing gets used!!!  But, not being real savvy about bbq's, we simply do not know how to deep, and I mean really deep, clean it.  People have been great at keeping the grill  nice and clean but now when we turn it on it catches fire, it doesn't get hot enough (I am sure because it is clogged) and just doesn't work properly.  And being not grillers, we don't know if this is normal or just what.

So we gave it away.  The boys said they knew what to do and would love to have it etc…..They are Hawaiian…Hawaiians bbq….so I am sure one of them will have a use for it and know what to do.

And now we are going to buy a new one…exactly the same.  Its a darn good bbq…if you know what you are doing and it gets cleaned properly.  But we don't have time to do it before we come back so I am not sure what the peeps that will be staying here between now and then will do.  I hate to be part of the throw away society but we just don't know how to make that thing clean and working.  I feel guilty!

My next post, unless something amazing happens, will be from purple room!!!!!  Which, by the way, I am turning into a bedroom as soon as I get home.  There will be no more sleeping in the same room as Spod.  :(    I probably could if we had our own beds, but we don't.  We have a magnificent huge king bed…that bounces every time he moves…and that is ALL the time.  I need my sleep and he needs to not feel bad at waking me up fifty times a night.  So I shall be moving a twin bed into purple room and removing some stuff out of there to make room.  Maybe.  I hate the thought of losing my rocking chair in there.  Maybe I will just take over a room downstairs…April and Myles are moving…oh jeez, I don't know.  That house and all its renos and decisions are driving me a little nuts.  So I am just not going to think about it right now.  TTYL  (pics are out of order…using Spod's camera causes that..)
ARYN AND BRADLEY MADE US ANOTHER DINNER..AN AMAZING ONE.  POKE TO START WITH AND THEN THEIR AWESOME RIBS…FALL OFF THE BONE RIBS.  DELICIOUS!!!


THE VERY BEAUTIFUL, ISOLATED EDGE OF THE EARTH

AND NOW…BACK TO THE DINNER!

WE SPENT A LONG TIME RIGHT HERE…JUST RELAXING, READING AND SNOOZING

A RAINBOW CAME ALONG AND ADDED A TOUCH OF COLOUR TO OUR AFTERNOON

THEY SPENT AT LEAST AN HOUR SITTING RIGHT THERE…WITH BINOCULARS, WATCHING THE PROGRESS OF A SAILBOAT ALONG THE COAST

TURTLE BEACH (HO'OKIPA LOOKOUT) JUST BEFORE GOING TO MAMMA'S

MAMMA'S



WE ORDERED FISH (CAN'T REMEMBER WHICH ONE) CHEEKS….THIS IS NOT WHAT I EXPECTED BUT IT WAS SOOOO DELICIOUS

AND THIS WAS POLYNESIAN BEEF IN PAPAYA…UNBELIEVABLE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment