Wednesday, June 12, 2019

BASTARDS

My cousin posted this amazing little Lord Byron poem this morning on face book.  I will tell you why afterwards why it is particularly significant this morning.  It goes like this:

THERE IS A PLEASURE IN THE PATHLESS WOODS,
THERE IS A RAPTURE ON THE LONELY SHORE,
THERE IS SOCIETY, WHERE NONE INTRUDES,
BY THE DEEP SEA, AND MUSIC IN ITS ROAR,
I LOVE NOT MAN THE LESS, BUT NATURE MORE.

Is that not beautiful?  And this morning it means even more to me.  I am struggling to continue to feel empathy for drug addicts.  This town is utterly riddled with them, and of course they bring havoc and destruction.  I know its a disease, likely the mentally ill self medicating.  But they have forced me to change the way I live and think.

I have never had to lock down everything I own before.  I have never even had to really think about it, much less worry.

This morning I let the dog out, made my coffee, settled in my awesome chair, looked out the window...to see Monte's van driver door wide open.  Now if there is anyone that can't afford to be robbed it would be Monte.  Fortunately, nothing we can immediately see was stolen...because we go to the extra effort to not leave anything of value in our vehicles....or in the back yard, or on the deck, or on the front step.....

I would like to be sympathetic.  I would like to understand.  I would like to be helpful.  But it is becoming increasingly difficult to do so.  The drug problem is never ever going to be solved.

  Vigilanteism has already started in this town.  People are already setting up pretty severe traps and surveillance devices.  And when they do get clear pics of perpetrators, their picture is posted on the local facebook page, Chatterbox, so everybody can go after them.  The police have given up.  The mayor has given up.  And now I am in danger of giving up.  TTYL

PS:  I wonder who is buying the stuff they steal.  They aren't mentally ill.  Maybe we should start there.  
I wish it was easier to comment on this stupid blogspot.  I would so love to hear your opinions.


1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of starting with the "enablers". I would approach the city council (do you have one there? ) and talk to the mayor. Go to the next meeting and ask to speak. Find out who is enabling this behaviour and how they are doing it. Suggest that ordinances be put in place and enforced. If there are "like minds", put a plan in place to boycott businesses that don't use proper safeguards to avoid buying stolen property. See if business that the addicts frequent are willing to make pamphlets available listing resources that can offer help getting clean. Just a few thoughts....

    ReplyDelete