Thursday, October 15, 2020

OKAY I HAVE A QUESTION

Do any of you use hand emulsion blenders?  Back in the day we use to call them braun sticks.  I have had one for yonks...like literally years.  I have used it maybe five times.  It isn't my first go to implement in the kitchen.  I just don't think of it...ever.

But, I watch others use them all the time, and it's got into my head.  I want to start using it.

Jeez I hate blogspot.  Every paragraph the font reverts to tiny.   tiny See?  Stupid program.  Anyway, with that stick in mind, I planned out our dinner.  We have a fair amount of left over turkey.  Twas unavoidable.  So we decided I would curry it.  And not curry it in my usual way.

I used two bags of frozen diced onions, small frozen bag of cauliflower, a few different new spices, one cup of cream and a can of diced tomatoes.

After it was all cooked down it was time to emulsify.  Oh yeah!!!  I plugged it in, plopped it into the muck and let fire.  Now if I were Martha Stewart it would make a lovely humming sound and a few minutes later I would have a beautiful creamy lumpyless yellow sauce.  Well, guess what?  I ain't no Martha Stewart.  That became evident immediately.  

I turned it on and that yellow crap flew everywhere.  And I mean EVERYWHERE!!  How does that happen?  I quickly turned it off and looked around in horror.  It really was everywhere including on my glasses, in my hair, on the microwave, all over the stove, on the wall, on the floor.  How?  What just happened?  So after a pretty thorough clean up, I took the lid to the pot and held it over the top the best I could and tried again.  Some escaped but it did control it quite well.  The inside of the lid was covered though.  

I don't get it.  I don't hear anybody else saying that this is their experience.  So what the hell did I do wrong?  This reminded me of the time I watched Martha Stewart do a pumpkin.  She got a drill and drilled little holes all over the pumpkin, turned the light down low, and took a lit strand of mini xmas lights and stuffed the little holes with one light, one at a time.  It looked fantastic.  So I got Bill to set up a drill for me, got the cleaned pumpkin out onto the kitchen island and set to.  Frigging pumpkin shot all over the kitchen, the floor, the walls, the ceiling!  It was crazy!  Then, carrying on, I started to push a little light into a pumpkin hole and every time I did it gave me a very unpleasant shock. My whole arm vibrated.  This did NOT happen to Martha Stewart!  The cow.

But I will say the curry turned out great!  I wasn't too fond of the stringy things the cauliflower put in it.  How anyone could make 'mashed potatoes' out of cauliflower has to be a myth.  Til I get an answer  though, I am not using that wandie thing again.  There has to be a better way.

Monte is sick.  He is dizzy, coughy, headache, a bad one, and very tired. Who knows?  Poor guy is sticking to his bedroom for now.  I am hiding in mine.  We shall see.  If there wasn't a two day wait on the covid line we would call.  But if he gets super sick I will just take him up to emergency, whether they like it or not.

Thursday is garbage day.  So last night I rounded up the bags and had Monte take them out to the can.  In the night I was laying there, wide awake as usual, when I remembered so I set my alarm clock for 6:30.  As the alarm went off and brought me out of a very deep much needed sleep, I got up, got my boots on and looked out the window to see if it was raining.  It was but...nobody had their garbage out.  Whaaaat? Then I remembered it had been a holiday week end. Dammit!  Garbage day is tomorrow.  Grrrr....no more sleep for me.  So I made coffee.

Well enough of that now.  Take care peeps, stay safe and remember to noodle away from people.  The noodles from the pool are six feet!  TTYL

ARYN:

1.  Reset your neck.  Do stretches.  Swing and rotate your head as you sit straight.  Lean your head to the left or right and stretch the opposite side muscles.  Then swing back and forth and rotate.  It feels good.

2.  Do bone building things.  Swimming and spinning don't cut it.  It has to be weight bearing.  Jogging, dancing, jump rope, rebounders and even walking all count.  I figure with my weight my legs should be bone mondo!

3.  Improve your balance.  I could write lots about this but I am going to suggest you read about proprioceptors.  It is the most interesting thing you will read in a long time.  I first heard about them in that brain book I read about the brain's elasticity and how stroke victims, victims of a certain antibiotic etc lose their ability to know if they are up down flat standing.  They can't walk or do anything.  Then this doctor figured out how, using a computer and the tongue, how to send messages to the brain and trained it to do the balance job.  Amazing!!!  So anyway he wants you to do balance exercises.  Some of them are scary.

4.  Do planks.  (shovel list)

5.  Do push ups.





1 comment:

  1. I'll try to do NO. 4 & 5 but it's been awhile! Speaking of Martha....remember when she made a croquembouche and took a whisk, cut off the ends then used it to delicately drizzle the Carmel over the tower of perfectly placed puffs.....? Ya......

    ReplyDelete