Monday, October 12, 2020

TURKEY IN TOFINO

 On Saturday we loaded up the truck and headed to Tofino.  The first half was truly beautiful. The leaves have turned even more than a couple of weeks ago and the sun was shining.  The last half was stormy, raining and just as beautiful in a very different way.  We listened to relevant music and drank coffee and ate gas station banana bread.  Oh, and we shared a good sized bag of Hawkins cheesies.  You can't beat that! For my American friends reading this, cheesies are only in Canada and made in Saskatchewan.  When I quit smoking, I ate cheesies instead!  Now when I eat them I want to smoke.  Hahaha!!!

Little side note:  I caught myself, totally out of habit, reaching through my shirt neck hole to yank up a bra strap...which of course had NOT slipped down.  hahaha!!!  I am so happy!!!!  Several times in the past, going on a road trip with Bill, I would rip my bra off in a rage and throw it out the window. 

We got into Tofino about 2:30 and it was gloriously sunny!  We found Graeme and decided to meet at one of the beaches.  I felt so bad not letting him into the truck.  So we had a tailgater in the parking lot of that very very busy spot.  Surfers in slimy black wet suits were in various stages of showering, desanding, peeling suits off and peeling suits on.  Wow!  I thought. The waves must be massive! All these surfers.  Where we were all we could see were trees.

So I hurried down the path to the beach to take in the glorious scene of giant waves and all the surfers doing their thing.  And....when I got there I started to laugh!  They were the weeniest sad waves I ever saw.  After hearing all about the storm and excellent surf conditions I had not expected the sad little swellies I was looking at.  It was still beautiful though. I have been spoiled by Maui..where the waves were taller than houses and whales were cavorting in among the surfers.  I have pics to prove it.

Back to the truck and we ate still very hot turkey dinner wraps.  They were okay.  The wrap part got kind of soggy from being wrapped up so tight and the steam getting to them. Tofino is definitely not picnic friendly.  They do have picnic tables smattered here and there, not many, but none that are covered and it seriously rains in that area.

We then went back to Graeme's hotel parking lot and we had pumpkin pie and whipping cream.  Somewhere in there we took a tour of Tofino in the truck.  We decided to risk exchanging covid germs and put Graeme in the back seat with Wrangler, and we all wore our masks.  Tofino, sorry Graeme, sucks.  Its def not my fave place.  The people (tourists) are all Stepford tourists.  They all look the same.  Young, expensive outdoor clothing, wicked boots, the men all have some sort of trendy toque on, all super skinny.  The stores are expensive and geared to tourist trapping, just like Banff and Whistler!  Trendy Sheeple!

We had a good time.  It was so good to see Graeme.  Its nice to have a destination that isn't only Nanaimo.  There is only one downside.  Monte doesn't fit the truck very well.  He has to duck his head so the roof doesn't block his vision and his head keeps banging on the roof ridge dividing the front and back and his right knee is pushed into the dash area and after a while really hurts.  It's painful.  So we stop now and then, which I like.  

And since getting home we have done nothing but sit around and sleep and eat.  Honestly!!  Its like a holiday!  And I take back the furnace comment I made earlier.  Yesterday and today when I arose, I checked the temperature in the house.  It was 14 degrees!  I could see Wrangler's breath!  I bundled up with my coffee in my chair but I was just too cold.  My nose and ears were frosty!  So I did put the furnace on.  I warmed it up to 17 then turned it off.  And it's bloody cold outside.  Alright now I am talking weather.  Time to stop.  Stay safe and noodle!  TTYL (as usual pics are totally out of order)

PUMPKIN PIE TIME

TOFINO

TAILGATE TURKEY DINNER

A VERY REFLECTIVE PUDDLE

INTREPID SURFERS TACKLING THAT CRAZY SURF

THERE IT IS...THE GIANT SURF

THE PATHWAY DOWN

WHERE THEY ARE REBUILDING THE ROAD AFTER A SLIDE....A MAJOR ENGINEERING FEAT

WE SAW THE MOST AMAZING FURRY TREES



MY DINNER THE OTHER NIGHT....A TURKEY POPES NOSE, MY FAVE.  WE MANAGED TO GET A FIFTEEN POUNDER AFTERALL

MORE ROAD REBUILDING

THE MIDDLE GUY IS BILL (WHOM WE THINK LOOKS LIKE MONTE) ON THE RIGHT IS HIS DAD GUS AND ON THE LEFT HIS BROTHER FRANK.  RANDOM PIC 



2 comments:

  1. Wow, these phots are amazing! Especially the one of the road work and of Bill...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen a picture of Gus before! That TOTALLY looks like Uncle Frank!

    ReplyDelete