Saturday, February 25, 2023

A FOODIE POST...SKIP IT IF YOU ARE TIRED OF MY FOOD TALK

 I have found that the older I get, the more prepared food shortcuts I take when executing a company dinner.  But....the planning, and mentally executing recipes, mental lists etc before a company dinner stays the same.  It's pretty amazing, I have found, how much work I can do in my head when I am planning, the key thing there is 'in my head'.  Transcribing that to 'doing' is another thing!

That being said I am planning a lamb dinner for Stan and Antonia tonight.  It is kind of an homage to our Dad.  So of course besides the lamb I am making a plethora of parsnips and simple carrots.  He loved parsnips.  And a simple dessert.

The leg of lamb is big, boneless and from New Zealand, via Costco.  It is beautiful and sitting on my deck ready to warm up and roast.  

Years and years ago,  probably fifty, I found an old beat up roasting tin in the ditch.  At the time I was on welfare, dead poor and in need of a good sized roasting tin.  I took it home, sterilized it, and have royally used it for the last half century, as I am planning to today.

I am going to build a trivet of large rainbow carrots, onions, garlic and rosemary in that roaster for the lamb to rest on as it roasts.  I am going to have to google if you eat leg of lamb blue, rare, medium rare or shoe leather.  I don't have a thermometer.

I am making criss cross potatoes.  I actually bought russets for this.  I never buy russets.  Unless you are baking them, they need peeling.  I don't peel anymore.  There are potatoes made just for me that never need peeling.  Why would you buy peelers?

I cut them in half length wise, score them, butter and season and roast them for an hour.  These are so easy and so good! These potatoes were my kids favourite.

The parsnips I shall steam first.  Then give them a bit of a flattening mash and fry them in the cast iron with gobs of butter and salt.  I remember my dad cooking them that way every time!

And a new try at something tonite is my broccoli cheese casserole.  I read a million broccoli cheese casserole recipes and came up with one with a twist that interested me.  You make the casserole as you would expect, except I will be making my own cheese sauce, and NOT a can of some kind of soup and fresh steamed broccoli, not frozen. When mixed you add reconstituted boxed stuffing and bake it for and hour.  I am looking forward to seeing how that goes over!

I was going to make an apple crisp.  He loved apple crisp.  And even using pie filling I just don't have the time today to make it.  So this morning at eight o'clock I was tooling up and down the aisles of QF behind us and instead of the pie filling I bought a large plastic box of mixed bars, cut into tiny delightful sizes.  Nanaimo bars, tuxedo bars, matrimonial bars and butter tart squares.  So much easier than apple crisp, even using pie filling.  

And of course the obligatory jars of vicious green mint jelly!  I won't be able to eat any of it though.  I am prepping for my A1c next Wednesday.  I have to keep my blood sugar under five for two weeks to get it down to where the doc won't yell at me and insist I go on insulin.  No way.  Anywho for those still reading thank you!  I will always warn from now on when it is a foodie post so those that are not interested can just skip it.  I am going to try to post pics but......have a great day and eat something on my starving behalf!!!!!  TTYL

'The light of the world will illuminate within you when you fast and purify yourself'  Mahatma Gandhi

----Okay Mr. Gandhi, I beg to differ.  Fasting makes me unhappy, starving and very very cranky.

No comments:

Post a Comment