Monday, May 8, 2023

ANOTHER DISTRACTED WEEK

 We are a sick sick household.  Covid is nothing to take lightly I tell ya.  I had three days of so sick I don't remember it but the fourth day came and I hopped out of bed, completely better except for my sinuses.  Couldn't taste or smell and they continued to try to kill me til a day or two ago.  But I feel great.

Not so Monte and poor Ange.  I think she maybe thought she was not going to actually get it, or if she did it was going to be a very light case.  Well one week later she went down like a dead man.  That poor girl is so so sick.  And she has the killer headache...that I, thank God, I did not get.  Plus she is puky and gravol doesn't work on her.  Jeez Louise...kill me now!  She will start to feel well, think it's finally over, and then bam!!! down she goes the next day.  And she is dizzy and fatigued.

And Monte just isn't getting well.  He has zero energy and just doesn't feel right.  He spends all day in bed.  I think he is getting worried he may end up long hauling it.

On the other floor of this house is me, alternating between cooking for them and sitting in my chair reading.

I have made an appointment again at Lens Crafters.  These glasses I have are still fairly new but they just aren't cutting it.  I can't see small things and it is so frigging annoying!!!

  I can't read the thermostat on the wall.  I can't read the closed caption on the tv.  I can't read instructions on processed packaged food, which is probably something of a good thing.   I have cut out a wee cardboard strip off the instant potatoes box (Betty Crocker only people, Idaho brand sucks and the Dollar Store sells Betty Crocker), the instructions which I simply absolutely cannot read without a giant magnifying glass.  I have put that in my wallet and when it is time to pick the glasses up I am going to whip that thing out and if I can't read it, I ain't taking them.

Another annoying thing....I have them make the bifocal part super high.  The upper line runs right through the middle of my eye.  That way I can read my piano music without throwing my head way back.  But...my right ear where the leg of the glasses sits is lower than the left one.  So that upper line slants down toward the right.  To get it even so I can read I have to tilt my head a wee bit to the left, which wreaks havoc with my neck.  Getting old sucks.

Travel.  I sorely miss it.  And I am discovering that Monte can only be away and staying with friends for about three days max.  A road trip right now just would be too hard on him.  But he can cruise.  If he has a quiet place to retreat to, our cabin, he is fine.

Now that covid is not something to be afraid of and with five shots and an episode of covid on board, we are as protected as possible.  Plus I would take my N95 respirators and liberally use them.

With this in mind I decided to take another look at a cruise.  I got an email from Princess cruises offering an 11 day Alaska cruise for 695, Canadian!!!!  Thats crazy cheap.  Plus you have to add the taxes and port fees etc... but the starting price is what actually sets whether it is a cheap price or not.  I took the bait!  It is four days longer than the average Alaska trip, it includes Sitka!  Not many trips do.  We tender in and as it is the most Russian of the towns we see in Alaska it is totally interesting.  We also visit two glaciers, Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan.  And if it rains the whole time, which tends to happen in September, thats okay with us.  I can't wait!!!!

And Princess ships have a Big Brother twist to their cruises.  You get a Medallion upon embarkation.  It's metal and about the size of a poker chip.  Encrypted on this thing is all your info.  One wears that thing 24/7 so the employees on the ship can always find you...for messages, room service, food or drink orders etc.  Also as you approach your cabin door that medallion unlocks it automatically as you get near.  And a lot of the stores in the towns have Medallion pay.  So if you don't want to use your credit card or cash, you just touch the medallion on their machine and it automatically gets added to your  ship account.  And if you foolishly go hiking on one of Alaska's many gorgeous trails and get lost, the ship peeps can find you.  Now if a bear eats you and your medallion, they will be tracking down the bear, not you.  Or you inside him.

Anyway its seems very futuristic to old me.  After reading Brave New World and 1984 (?), I kind of have a touch of a wary feeling about it.  But I bought us a drinks package so I have a feeling we will be using the app that is attached to that medallion a lot.  We have to drink six alcohol drinks a day to make the package worth it.  Plus we get bottled water, soft drinks, juice from the juice bar, specialty coffees, milkshakes etc....and two special desserts per day.  And we get wifi and the daily gratuities that are 16 bucks per day per person paid.  I worked it out and we save 57% by pre purchasing this package.  Kerry would be so proud of me!!!

Anyway we leave Sept. 15th.  We are just taking carry on size suitcases.  One dressy outfit for the two formal nights, and rain gear and two pants and four shirts and pjs.  I have learned to pack what you are going to wear, not choices.  I always overpack.  Not this time!

And now we have created a travel fund for 2024.  But this time we are going to do a thirty day Panama Canal transit trip.  It leaves from Florida.  Again, it is really inexpensive and we have over a year to trickle coinage into that account.  And that trip I believe either starts or ends in Vancouver so flying one way only.  

Anyway, thats it for today.  This is getting too long.  Have a great day!!!!  TTYL

'At night, when the sky is full of stars and the sea is still you get the wonderful sensation you are floating in space.'  Natalie Wood........I almost didn't use this quote because....well...she IS floating somewhere, but that is so exactly how it feels. I have truly felt that, sitting on my balcony at night under a blanket of stars, silently floating along.


No comments:

Post a Comment