Friday, September 15, 2023

UP UP AND AWAY...NO NO...THAT ISN'T RIGHT

 When Spod and I were doing three big trips a year I would usually name this post on leave day Up Up and Away.  But this time we aren't flying.  And not flying is for a very good reason.

Over the last couple of years I have watched that TV show Mayday many many times.  First a plane crash is shown then the whole hour is about sleuthing into minute details trying to discover the cause of that crash....that inevitably killed umpteen people.

I stopped watching it a couple of months ago. I noticed that the more I understood how planes functioned, the more terrified I became to fly again.  So ridiculous, as Spod and I spent umpteen hours flying in exactly the type of planes on that show and never even lost a piece of luggage.  So I stopped watching...and flying.

When I was mapping out our current trip we are going on I made sure that there was no flying involved.  And that is solely because of the hours I spent watching that show.  It has scared the bejeepers out of me and I need to get over that.  Somehow.  I ain't there yet.  Soon.  I hope.  (shovel list)

In the meantime cruising is a nice alternative.  So today we are off to Alaska for an eleven day cruise.  It is on Princess, the cheapest line of cruises, and a really smokin' hot deal.  I don't think I would have done this one if it hadn't been for a certain email that came from Princess offering this cruise super cheap, our dollar at par.  Holy doodle!!!  650 bucks per person at par for a balcony room and the cruise, which is normally 7 days is four days longer than normal.

And of course we are doing Alaska.  I have been there umpteen times but Monte hasn't.  This is an easy cruise.  There are just enough sea days to make us happy (we would do a cruise that was all sea days if we could) and easy places to visit for culture and shopping.  We signed up for one excursion.  That involves a steam train in Skagway that takes us up to White Pass in the Yukon.  It is the most beautiful three hours you can spend.  I have done it every time we have gone to Alaska and it never gets old. We did  it in the rain.  We did it in the snow and we did it in super hot weather.   Other than that we are not doing any other shore excursions.  I went over them with Monte and we decided we would walk and shop.

So today is the day.  It's early and I am sitting in a comfy bed at the North Vancouver Hotel.  Monte is snoring away across the room and I am drinking pissy weak but hot, coffee I made when I got up.  I could go over the parking lot to the breakfast room and have some free breakfast.  They always had eggs, sausages, a waffle machine, all kinds of muffins and buns and toast, cereals, lots of juice choices etc...but I am too comfy right here and not hungry enough.

Yesterday was such a special day for me.  We picked up April at 7 o'clock and she managed to glide into the car so easily.  I was so impressed.  She still can't move her arms very much and she has bandages and drains etc...and pain.  But she is an amazing trooper.

She and I went to her appointment and it went super well.  She is healing so nicely but the drains weren't quite ready to come out which was disappointing.  But she handled everything so well.  I am so glad I could be there with her.  It hasn't felt quite right not being near her through all of this.  She still has a bumpy road over the next three months but she is proving to be a tough cookie and can handle it.

Later that day Aryn and Bradley came over.  This was pretty special for me.  I was in a place with three of my kids.  That never happens!  I was so happy.  We ordered Indian food and sat around the table and ate and visited.  It was so special.

My stupid tailbone has flared up.  This is so annoying.  After the initial couple of very painful months a year and a half ago, the pain died down to a very quiet ignorable roar.  Most the time I forgot about it.  But over the last week something changed.  It hurts and especially when I bend over and stand up again.  So try not bending over when you are doing laundry, packing a couple of suitcases and cleaning a house.  I will have to try really hard on this trip to not bend over.  I thought about bringing my walker but discarded that idea. 

 I remember when Spod started to use a cane and not only did it mean I had to pack around the bag he normally carried in that hand, it super slowed him down even more.  Well walkers are even worse.

  Additionally the way they are built forces you to hunch over them, they are so low.  You take a look at people with walkers, they are all hunched over, leaning on their arms.  I already have a hunchy back due to double scoliosis.  I don't need to make it worse by hunching over even more.  And I have bad arms, like a lot of older people.  Walkers don't help.  So no walker.  I might regret it but I don't think so.

Well I am getting excited!  My favourite part of cruising is that moment when you enter your stateroom, shut the door and you are there.  I love it!!!  Now I need to repack and organize and get ready to call a taxi soon.  Apparently I said in my sleep night before last, 'Carpe diem!'  What the heck???  So I shall use it here but in English.  I shall sign off with...seize the day and go make it count!!!  TTYL

'To move, to breathe, to fly, to float.  To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live.'  Hans Christian Anderson

LAHAINA

ONLY IN JAPAN


PICTURE TIME

LOVES FOREIGN FOOD

COOKIE AND BRIAN IN LAHAINA

YANGZEE RIVER GORGES

THE GORGE

TERRA COTTA WARRIORS

ALL THINGS YOU CAN SEE WHEN YOU TRAVEL





No comments:

Post a Comment