Friday, July 28, 2017

I NEED MY MOMMY

I remember when it was time to pack up Monte Creek house, a huge monstrosity full of previous wives stuff, added to by Bill and I.  I remember standing in the middle of that humungous house, holding a baby, watching another, and thinking...how the hell is this going to happen in two weeks.  Bill was back in Vancouver working and I was to pack and ready the house for new people to live in it.

I had already packed the peripheral stuff into boxes labeled Bamfield or Fifteenth st.  I was now facing the last biggest hurdle of all...the dreaded enormous pantry cupboard and the kitchen.  I don't know if you have ever heard of Fibber MacGee and Molly, an old radio program.  On every episode they would open their closet and stuff would fall out...for a whole minute...all the sound effects etc...so funny.  Thats what that pantry was like.  Overwhelming.

  And then I heard a car drive up.  I looked out the sidelights beside the front door and my intrepid awesome mother hopped out of her car and bounced into the house.

"What are you doing?" she asks me as I stood there almost in tears.  "Thinking.  Planning.  Freaking out," I answered.  "Why?" she inquires.  So I told her that that horrible, overstocked, stuffed, mish mash of a pantry was defeating me. 

 And before you could say Bob's your uncle, she rolled up her sleeves, got a stool, pulled over boxes and a large garbage container and dug in.  And before you knew it that whole pantry was sorted, organized and completely packed.  Then she scrubbed it out.  I will never forget that.  She will never know how much that did for me that day.  She maybe wasn't the handiest Oma when it came to helping with the babies, but she could move mountains, my mountains, when I most needed it.

I sure wish my Mom was here now.  TTYL


1 comment:

  1. Awwwwww...... I was JUST thinking about the two of you on Saturday! As you know, I had to pack up and move our office on my own as Bradley as working. I woke up Saturday morning and said to myself "just roll up the sleeves and get it done" and I did! When I finished I was going to call you and tell you that not only did I manage to pack up and move in a timely fashion, I was thinking of how both you and Oma set great examples for me as women who just get what needs to get done, DONE when needed. Seriously, I'm so thankful to be taught that I can do pretty much anything that I set my mind too and that has 100% contributed to my independence and I wouldn't trade that for the world. xo

    ReplyDelete