Wednesday, January 25, 2023

CARDBOARD UP THE WAZOOO

 Back in the Bill days I watched Bill garden.  At times in our life together he went to town and did major transformations outside the current house.  One of the things I learned from watching him was that keeping weeds at bay was almost a full time job.  Consequently he attacked the problem in the most innovative way.

We had ripped up a huge amount of carpet in one of our places we had foreclosed.  He brought it home, cut it to proper sizes and laid them on the flower beds.  He covered it with dirt then did his planting.  It worked like a hot dam!  He also, when carpet was not available, used cardboard.  He would put it down and cover with mulch.  To plant plants he would cut holes in the cardboard, dig a hole in the corresponding dirt and plant the plant.  Again, it worked like a charm.

And that is what Ange and I are going to do this year.  So, guess what is alive and growing on our deck.  CARDBOARD!!!  We have way more boxes out there than we have garden bed space.  It is just too easy to throw those Amazon, Costco, Post Office boxes out the sliding door and now we have a monster to tame.  I have ordered a pack of 8 box cutters and they arrive today.  We are going to sit our butts down on chairs out there and cut appropriate size cardboard pieces.  The rest Monte can take to the recycling place.  I want to see bare deck floor when we are done.

Now I am prepping dinner for tonite.  I have noticed that in the morning I have lovely ideas for dinner but by mid afternoon my mojo seems to evaporate.  So now I am trying a new strategy.  Do as much prep when I have the pep, and that is in the morning.

So I have just finished slicing up a couple sweet onions and three yellow peppers.  I am thawing a whole chicken which I shall spatchcock to lay on top of the onions and peppers.  Half an hour before it's finished roasting I will drain if needed and then cover it all with BBQ sauce (only Diane's).  I also found an amazing recipe for Jonny cake that you make with jalapeños and corn and cheese that you make in a slow cooker!  Oh yeah!!!  I hope it turns out!  I love my slow cooker.  I am also making  creamed corn.  I have milk to use up and thats a great way to do it.  Broccoli rob to top it off.  Mmmmm...now I am hungry and it's too early for it all.

Well sorry...got carried away there.  Cooking is probably my fave subject.  I don't eat much any more, and def not meat but I still love to cook.  This dinner totally reminds me of Bamfield summers and Bill...probably one of his fave dinners.

Well gotta bounce and go get the ingredients ready to mix for the Jonny cake.  Have a great week people and TTYL


'Be decisive.  Right or wrong, make a decision.  The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision.'       Unknown. But man alive!  I could have written this one.

I shall include pics next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment