Saturday, July 15, 2023

ROAST BEEF SAMMICH....MMMMMMM

 What is it about forbidden food, and if you are diabetic there's a whole lot of that floating around the universe, that tastes better in your head, the memory part, than when it reaches your head physically, the mouth part.  I had a sammich from Tim Hortons (no freaking way am I going to call it timmies) once a long time ago.  It was super delicious.  It was a miracle they had all the parts to make it.  I have yet to go to a TH when they aren't out of something I order.  Like how White Spot is famous for taking sooooo long to get their food to you, TH is famous for being out of stuff.  But I digress.

Based on that one sammich a long time ago I had some time to kill yesterday waiting for the ferry so I stopped at a TH drive through and got a forbidden beef and cheese sandwich.  I shared it with LL.  And whilst the bun was good, the sandwich just didn't taste as good as my memory of sandwiches remembered.  I haven't had a full on sandwich for a very long time and I think as time slipped by my longing for one made my memory of the taste grow along with it.  It was good, but it was a disappointment.

The highlight yesterday was arriving here at April and Myles's place.  As soon as I turned into their complex LL went nuts!!!  She started crying and shaking and vibrating and jumping around.  And holy hell when they showed up at the truck she went totally crazy!!!!  And they were so worried she wouldn't remember them!!!!  And she is now completely ignoring me.  Sigh.  All that love and care for a whole month, sleeping with her, walks and poo trips to the back yard and she now ignores me.  Sigh.

Well today is Wednesday.  And it was a lovely one.  Last night Aryn called me and told me to look at North Van restaurant menus and pick one for lunch today.  I don't know if I have mentioned this before but one of Monte and my fave past times is reading menus.  Usually it's me reading them out loud to him.

And so I spent much time last night reading all the menus I could find!  I finally landed on a Vietnamese place where they made pho with tripe...my fave!  And it isn't something I can get at home easily.

She picked me up and off we went.  We had a wonderful lunch, which neither of us could finish.  And then she took me to a grocery store, Stongs, an unusual interesting grocery store.  I felt like I had gone to heaven.  People here in the city just don't know how extremely fortunate they are to just be able to go and get what they need and want.  Hells bells, I can't even get sambal oleek (sp?) in Port.  And it's like thirty bucks on Amazon.  Six dollars in Nanaimo.  It was so much fun tooting around the store and looking longingly at lovely things.

It was announced today that due to unexpected troubles on the road between Port and freedom, they have to extend their closed times.  The fire was June 4th.  The road was closed for two and a half weeks.  That road is our only road out except for a six hour hellish trip on logging roads.  Then they opened it for single lane traffic alternating every half hour or more.  It was a slow process getting out of Port the other day.  Today they have announced that the road will be closed every week day from nine am to five pm.  and alternating on Sat. and Sun.  Til freaking middle of August.

This totally affects my visit with Brody.  Jen was bringing him up on the 22, a Sat. and leaving the next day.  So other than looooong waits she would get through.  But there is no way I can get him back to Victoria on the 27th, a Thursday.  What a huge disappointment.  Other than that though I am quite okay with road issues if it keeps people out of town.

The person who bought my truck phoned today to get the VIN.  He was arranging things to go ahead with the purchase so it is closer to reality.  As soon as I get home I have to arrange to get the windshield changed and have it detailed and all ready.  I am kind of sad at losing her but excited to find a new one.  I look forward to 6 litres to 100 K's rather than the 22 litres to 100 k's.  The car will pay for itself...maybe before I get older and die.  hahahaha!!!!!  I remember my Gramma always figuring out if something she was buying was going to last longer than her!

Today is Friday.  April took the day off and we have had an awesome day so far!  We took off early this morning to Whycliff Park out near Horseshoe Bay.  It was astoundingly beautiful!!  I will post some pics at the bottom (or at least what blogspot considers the bottom).  It's just plain healing for the soul going to someplace like that that is so peaceful and glorious.

We then went to Opus, an art store. She had to pick a few things up and I had a good look around.  Next stop was a bakery/lunchy type place that sold the most delicious amazing almond croissants!  Unbelievably good!  Next was a stop at the dog park down on the ocean.  That was fun!  LL ran around and barked at dogs and lay in the shade.

Now April has run to Safeway nearby to pick a few things up.  I am sitting here yelling at LL who is out on the deck barking.  For such a little dog she is so damned noisy!

So it's off home tomorrow.  My ferry isn't until 8:30 pm so I won't get home til past midnight.  I don't mind.  It probably won't take too long to get through the intermittent part of the road at that time of night. Til next post....TTYL

'Without my morning coffee, I am just like a piece of dried up goat.'  Johann Sebastian Bach

WHYTECLIFF PARK

I LIKE DEAD TREES

APRIL AND LL

BEST ALMOND CROISSANT IN THE WORLD...REALLY

SHE KNOWS WHO TO SIT UNDER












 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment