Saturday, June 16, 2018

SORRY....BORING POST BUT SOMETHING TO THINK UPON

I just heard a most interesting (to me)item about Eric Fromme...a philosopher from the sixties.  My mom loved his writing.  And it went like this:

He forecast a society that was possessed with possessions. He said that humans have two basic orientations, having and being.

A person with a having orientation seeks to acquire  and possess things, property and even people. I know someone like that.  Everywhere she goes she talks to people and invites them to visit, or stay in contact.  And they do.

A person with a being orientation, focuses on the experience.  They extract the meaning of their life from the give and take, exchanging and sharing with other people.

Fromme also predicted that a society that lives in a commercial driven society like we live in today, is doomed to become a having society.  He believed that this would lead to dissatisfaction and emptiness.

In 1960 there were absolutely no storage units.  Today there is over two billion feet of public storage.  

I learned this on a CSI episode about a hoarder.  Thought I would get it down on virtual paper so I wouldn't forget it.  Throw your crap out people and stop buying more.  Be a being person!!!!!  Says I who pays 75 bucks a month for a storage unit.  Sigh.  (shovel list)  TTYL



No comments:

Post a Comment