Thursday, May 23, 2019

MIND OVER MATTER

Some things I am using my grit and not letting them get to me.  The top two annoyances I have the most trouble with are barking dogs, as you know, and the beeping of trucks backing up.  Both those things can drive me nuts, depending on the frequency.

Well so far the only dog I have heard is down the block, a big dog, and he only barks for a little while then stops.  Then you don't hear him for quite a while.

But....I have moved about four houses away from the back of QFC.  For those of you who have never grocery shopped on the Island, you won't be familiar with that grocery store.  It is the Island's equivalent of Whole Foods.  Its a beautiful store with fairly high end stuff.  Also it has a huge cooked food take out section.  Upstairs is a Starbucks in a beautiful amazing over stocked gift shop.

And of course this lovely store needs to be restocked every single day its open.  Starting at five in the morning, there is a parade of semi trucks, cube vans, bigger cube vans, all heading to the loading docks of QFC, right past my open window.  And every one of them has to slowly, ever so slowly, back into the bay.  And of course they are beep beep beeping the whole way.  I have to admit this is the closest I have ever lived to beeping trucks.

But you know its kind of like having a dog.  If you hate the dog, then every tiny infraction by that dog is huge and horrible.  But when you love them, it might be annoying but you are okay with it because you love them.

Well I love living here so much that honestly the beeping is okay.  I can live with it.

The other thing is the fairly persistent smell of the pulp mill.  Its much stronger and more....well lets say pungent than Kamloops ever was.  It smells like someone has been farting up a storm and you can't get rid of it!  But, I can live with that too.

I am bit by bit getting boxes unpacked.  Monte has been walking back to his place and is organizing and packing getting ready for movers to bring his stuff over and the rest to the dump.

Day before yesterday right after lunch we went to an eyeglasses place.  Monte needs glasses.  He made an appointment for an eye exam and when asked how much it would cost, she said 170.00 bucks!!!!  I had a fit.  When I asked about the exorbitant cost she told me that each place has different equipment etc...  As soon as we got into the car I got my phone out and did a little research.  Costco is 70 and Lens Crafters, with Monte's disability was 40.  Not only that, Lens Crafters has a whole wall of lovely frames that are free for disability people. Monte made an appointment for one and a half hours away.  Lens Crafters is in Nanaimo.  Crap!!!

Off we went.  The drive to Nanaimo is basically an hour.  Its a beautiful drive.  Long story short he had his appointment and ordered his glasses.  Normally you get them in an hour but their grinder was broken so it will be ten days.  Which is good because we will go back to Nanaimo but with a plan.  Costco for sure!

Yesterday I went to the Jeep dealer!  I put a deposit (refundable if necessary) on a Jeep Gladiator!  The only drawback is the colour.  I wanted one the same colour as Tank.  But I had a choice between black, white, silver or lipstick red. Well I don't want black, white or silver so I have ended up with lipstick red with a black roof.  Could be months though before it gets here.  I will put a pic at the bottom of it.

I am going to go and pick up Ange and Pat this afternoon and bring them here.  They haven't seen the house yet.  They have been so good to Monte.  When I finally get the kitchen set up I will have them back for dinner.  It won't be lamb though...which of course I have a freezer full of.  Apparently Pat hates lamb, like so many sons of fathers that were in the war.  I guess rotten maggoty mutton doesn't taste too good and they wouldn't even eat lamb when they got back from the war.  A strong influence on their sons.

Gotta bounce.  There are more and more and more boxes to unpack.  TTYL



THERE SHE IS.  GOTTA THINK OF A NEW NAME NOW. FEEL FREE TO MAKE SUGGESTIONS!!!  LOOKS ORANGE BUT IT ISN'T...ITS A VIBRANT VICIOUS RED BELIEVE ME!




No comments:

Post a Comment