Saturday, January 11, 2020

ANOTHER TOO LONG STRETCH

Honestly, I am going to try to post more often.  I just can't believe how much time goes by!  Although this time I did do some stuff.

On Thursday I took off for Campbell River around two o'clock.  It was a pretty relaxing uneventful trip.  I was listening to the radio and at one point I glanced at my speedometer and I was going 140!!!!  Hokey Dinah!  I put the skids on and slowed 'er down.  No tickets thank you very much.

Stan and Antonia are the most hospitable hosts ever!  We had drinks and convo in their gorgeous living room with the most incredible view of the ocean over to Quadra Island.  We had a lovely roast chicken dinner then retired to the living room and launched into a lively game of chicken foot...a hilarious version of Dominos.  Jeez we had fun!

They have a lovely older house.  The basement is totally separate from the main floor.  You can only enter it from outside and you have an entire two bedroom, completely updated and beautiful suite.  And not only that, they left a big new container of orange juice in the fridge, a new cream, coffee, coffee maker, two delish muffins with butter and a fresh unopened bag of roasted cashews!  So thoughtful and very very yummy!

That night, around two in the morning, I was awakened by a ferocious wind storm bashing away just outside my bedroom window.  That wind was howling!  And super loud!  Things were crashing and banging out there.  The next day, when I was due to go home, it became clear that the roads and weather were such that I ended up staying one more night.

Antonia had prior engagements so Stan and I went down to the CR Museum.  It was absolutely fantastic.  I got to watch an 18 minute film on the blowing up of Ripple rock.  Bill would have LOVED it!!!  He told me all about it being blown up in the channel between Quadra and the Island back in the fifties.  And the Native section in that museum was absolutely amazing.  If you ever get the chance......it has been listed in the top ten small museums in Canada...and rightly so! 

We were told we could 'interact' with all the stuff.  Like climb up onto the massive donkey engine logging truck thingy.  So I did.  But I didn't fit between the seat and the steering wheel so I tried to get down and I couldn't!!!  I had to call Stan over to give me a hand and even then I almost couldn't. Jeez!

And in the Ripple Rock movie I fell asleep, right before the explosion!  I woke up to Stanley hollering at me and asking if I actually saw it!  Thank god no one else was in there!  So he patiently went and pushed the button so we could watch it again.  I was quite grateful to him for doing this until he admitted he slept through it too!!! Man Alive!!!

We had another lovely evening and then off to bed.  I packed it up the next morning and got home around 11:30.  

I managed to remember to get all of mom's slides from Stan.  I am going to pick out approximately fifty slides to have made into pictures to make albums.  There is a lot of history there.  In fact the only baby pics I have of Aryn and Kevin are in those slides.  We have a friend in Victoria that may be able to get them all onto a computer and onto a flash stick for me.  I can pick and choose from there.  Its still a lot of money to get Costco or London Drugs to develop slides into pics.

Well I am tired and my horse is tired.  The boys have gone to bed and I think I shall too.  TTYL


No comments:

Post a Comment