Wednesday, April 23, 2014

SUPPLEMENTAL (WITH PERMISSION) COOKIE SHOPPING REPORT

Let me start by stating that when Cookie and I were mere teens, and it had become clear that we were going to be lifelong friends…we made a pact.  We had one rule…to never ever criticize the other, not even for 'their own good'.  Now, she told me my skirt was hooked up in my undies once, many years ago at a huge banquet…may have been a criticism, but that kind was okay.  But to tell me that my skirt was either ugly or inappropriate..that was NOT okay.

I broke that rule for the very first time ever the day she left.  I would like to call it more of an 'intervention', but it sounded a lot like a critical comment…or lecture as it turned out.  This is what happened.

Cookie is a bit of an indecisive shopper.  Its rare that we get out of the store with an item she needs, wants and has found.  She is what we call a "dither shopper"!

We went up to an outlet place up on the highway.  She was looking for a couple of little t-shirts for grandkids…you know the kind, the FUN kind.  Brilliant colour, happy sharks, fishes or turtles on it.  The kind that would make the KID happy…nothing to do with the parents or the Grandma's taste.

So, that being the case, we entered the large shopping store and I whisked her over to the kid corner.  We found about twenty toddler size t-shirts, from 12 mths to 24. A few could be immediately eliminated because they were fully pink with little girls on it…her two grandkids are boys.  We then eliminated another batch, they were simply the wrong size.  That left just a few to choose from.

Earlier in Costco she had picked up one outfit as a maybe (with Cookie until you are out of the store, item in a bag, whatever she has picked up is a maybe).  She showed it to me.  The shirt was a sedate navy blue with a teeny tiny barely visible turtle discreetly placed on the right shoulder.  NO NO NO!!!  I said!!  Its just too boring and doesn't scream Maui like it should.  Keep in mind these boys are young…under one and just over one year old.

I must say, at this outlet place she did pick one for one of the boys in under ten minutes.  I was pretty impressed and it was a nice green with something like dolphins or something on the front.  (and if it had been me instead of her buying those shirts she would absolutely remember what was on the front of that shirt)  Now it was time to pick up one for the baby.  So another ten minutes goes by as she lifts one then another then picks then puts it back and picks another and on and on with the process.  I then find a lovely orange one with three turtles.  The baby is a ginger baby so orange is perfect and it had three turtles on it.  Blue, green and a little pink one.  She immediately mentioned that that tiny pink turtle was kind of girly.  Oh for heaven's sake!!!  Its barely there and I am sure TJ isn't that hung up on gender dressing.  What the Heck!!!  So she agreed and moved it to her maybe hand.  

I then wandered over to the men's section and took another ten minutes (I knew she wanted to look at dresses) and looked for shorts for Monte.  After a while I decided to head upstairs to find her in the women's section and as I passed the kid area..what did I see?  COOKIE!!  Still there..angsting over a 7 dollar kid shirt and a pink turtle!!!!!!  So I did what we promised we never would do….

I confronted her!  I put a hand on my hip and said, "I am going to criticize you right now.  You are simply over thinking this purchase!!!  You need to stop doing this right now.  That shirt is perfect for Maxin, TJ and Matt will love it and if they don't tell them I bullied you into buying it.  And if they do like it, tell them I bullied you into buying it!  Now just stop it and lets move on!!!!"  She did and she is still talking to me!!  Now, this next bit is for Cookie…I know she is reading this….

I have shopped with you for many many many years.  Now, as aggravating as your purchasing habits can be (LOL), I have to say you are so good at it.  When I am searching for something, and can't find it after a thorough search and I have given up, you come along and sing out "Here it is!!"  Jeez!!  And I always think "How does she do that?"  That being said you always find what you are looking for pretty quickly and it will be exactly what you like, fairly quickly.  But then you question your choice, dither with other lesser stuff, go back and forth and then after a long time you either go back to your first pick or leave the store and then regret not buying your first pick.

Take those flip flops you bought.  You had picked those first…and you should have just taken them and be done with it.  They were perfect.  Take that  necklace you bought at Kims.  You knew you wanted that one the last time you were in there!!!!  You DO know what you want and you find it first and quite quickly..but then you question it.  So now in the future take note of your first choice, look around and I bet you will go back to that first choice!!!  And any time in the future if I need to make a major purchase…I want you to come with me.  If I can't find it I know you will!!!  And I am sorry for lecturing you.   Love Helly


2 comments:

  1. Thank you! You are so right! And you did not break the 'rule', it was a shopping intervention! :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh…you are really my fave person in the whole wide world!

    ReplyDelete