Wednesday, August 3, 2016

MT. LOLO TO PENTICTON

Well I can now cross Mount Lolo off my National Bucket List.  (I have both a national one and a more ambitious international list)

Back in the day you couldn't get up to the radar station but the land has been returned to the natives and they aren't quite so touchy.  We drove right up there and it was so exciting.  We couldn't get through the gate of course, but close enough to see.  There was also the oddest structure up there.  I will put a pic of it below and maybe a reader will have an idea of what the heck it is.

Monte and I spent the last few days cleaning, packing, gardening, mowing, cleaning dog crap, tooting around, dinnering at Kathy's with rellies etc..  Finally yesterday morning (Tuesday the 2nd) we hit the road.

First we dropped Molly off at the kennel.  It reminded me so much of the days of yore when I would drop the kids off at Mom's for a few days.  Such a feeling of freedom!

  The lady in there doesn't know that I am def not one of those kootchy coo dog owners.   Kennel girl: "Ohhhh shes soooooo keeeyooot!!!!Do you want to come and see the suite she will be staying in?"  Me:  No.  I don't really care.  Girl:  "Awwww...do you want to take her for one last walkie and good bye before you go?"  Me:  No.  Girl:  " Do you want to call later to see how she is handling being away from home and Mommeeee?"  Me:  No.  Even if she is seizing in grief I am not coming back til planned.  Girl:  "oh, okay.  Now then, if something were to happen, shall we call you for decisions on vet care?"  Me:  No.  My sister is the emergency contact.  Call her.  She can decide whatever.  She will tell me when I get home.  LET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!!

  We then continued on the old Merritt highway to Merritt.  It was still early so we dropped into a diner and ordered breakfast.  I'm so totally off meat right now (makes me pukey) so I had white bread toast with marmalade and home fry hash browns.  Real healthy!!! but oh so delicious.  

We continued on to Penticton...such a beautiful trip.  It rained billy oh for part of it which made the scenery even more spectacular!  We stopped at a truck chain up spot so Monte could use the outhouse.  In he goes and jeez if he isn't in there FOREVER!  After a long while some guy showed up, tried the door, looked at me in the van, then stood there and waited.  And waited.  And waited. Finally, knowing that for sure Monte had taken his stupid phone in with him, I texted him to get the hell out of there, that some guy was waiting.  He got the message and got out of there but the guy was shaking his head when he went in.

Kev's house is about the cutest little old house you've ever seen!  I will take pics today and post them tomorrow.  Its an old war house but the homiest, most comfortable little house ever.  Last night I was in the living room (they furnished the whole thing with wonderful furniture from Sally Ann), listening to Fenton and Monte in the kitchen making apricot, absolutely delicious, apricot pie.  As they murmured and worked together, the drawers would make that scraping wood sound as they were opened and closed and the floor would squeak as they walked around, such old familiar sounds that only an old kitchen can make.  And as doors were opened and closed they made that funny wood on wood sound because they didn't quite fit, the screen door would squeak and slap shut.....I just love it.

Last night we went out for dinner.  The place is called Burger 55.  Take a moment and look up the menu...its indescribable!  The stuff you can put on your burger...from fig jam, to mac and cheese, to baked beans, to eggs, to every sauce known to mankind, deep fried pickles etc.....is mind boggling!!!

I will describe Monte's....the burger was beef (could have been bison, lamb, turkey, chicken, tuna, portabella mushroom, and ten I am forgetting, the bun was two grilled cheese sandwiches, (and could have been whole wheat, white, brioche, salad, and more) fig jam, cheeses, and whole bunch of sauces and other stuff!  Elise had quesadillas and Fenton had a burger from the kids menu, Kevin had the messiest burger I have ever seen (pic below) and I had my all time fave....corn dog and beans.  Soooo much fun that we are going again tonight!!!!

Now I am sitting in the most comfortable bed ever, thank you Fenton for giving up your bed for me!!! and its too early to go downstairs just yet.  I don't think anyone is up yet.  Today, and this is soooo exciting, we are going for a drive around the area and we are stopping at some fossil beds!!!  I bought a stepping stone kit at Michael's the other day and we are going to make one using the fossils we find.  Should be a spectacu
THATS THE STRUCTURE...IT ALMOST LOOKS LIKE ITS AND OLD LAUNCHING PLATFORM FOR HANG GLIDERS, BUT THEY CAN JUST JUMP OFF THE CLIFF THERE


MOUNT LOLO


INDIAN PAINT BRUSH...MY FAVOURITE WILD FLOWER

MONTE'S GRILLED CHEESE BURGER...I SEE HE ADDED SPINACH TO IT

THIS IS JUST CRAZY....WHEN HE WAS LITTLE HE WAS THE FUSSIEST CLEANEST EATER EVER...I HAVE NEVER EVER SEEN HIM WITH FOOD ON HIS FACE AND HANDS LIKE THIS!!!

ELISE EATING HER CHEESE AND TOMATO QUESADILLA

MR FENTON HAS DONE HIS BURGER ALREADY!

I STILL CAN'T GET OVER THIS MESS!  THATS CHEESE HANGING OFF OF HIS BURGER!  IF YOU LOOK UP THE MENU ITS THE HERO BURGER....WORTH A TRIP TO PENTICTON FOLKS!!

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THIS PIC GOT IN HERE.....ITS THE WOOD STOVE AND MESSY CORNER OF THE LOG HOUSE IN BAMFIELD, BEFORE THE FLOOR WENT IN!
lar fun time.  Tomorrow we head off for Wenatchee!  TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment