Tuesday, May 16, 2017

MACARONI SALAD TO THE POWER OF INFINITY

April and Eithne arrived around seven from Prince George.  They were so tired, poor things.  But we had a bite to eat and a wonderful visit.  Then early to bed.  They said they would stay later the next day and come with me to help make a meal and feed a couple hundred less fortunate folks.

And feed them we did!!!  We went down to the church around 12:30 and dove in immediately. We tiny diced peppers, celery and green onions.  We peeled a million carrots, prepared cauliflower, broccoli, frozen corn, frozen peas etc.... Cut up many many many chickens.  Mixed up a delicious flour coating for it.  Mixed quarts of tasty salad dressing for the mac salad.  Cut and buttered over two hundred buns.  Plated about 200 dishes of various desserts.  Made a ton of bagged take away lunches.  Set up tables.  Wrapped silverware in preparation.  Made coffee and iced tea by the gallon.  What an unbelievable experience!

At one point I stepped outside the door in the back alley where you enter this amazing commercial kitchen in the back of the United Church.  There is a concrete pony wall along there, so I took a minute to sit down.  There were already a bunch of interesting characters lined up out there.  One scruffy older man with a beard that would put Santa to shame, asked what was on the menu.  So I told him...roast chicken, mac salad, veggies, buns, dessert and beverage.  His response?.."I hope there aint too much salt on the chicken!"  Best Mother's Day ever!!

I have to admit that the four hours of work kicked my ass.  I was getting charlie horses everywhere and my feet hurt.  April had to drive home because I was needing to contort to relieve the cramps.  But the girls were tired too!  It was a lot of work! 

 Then, immediately upon arriving home,  Kathy sent me a pic of Stirling...and said she was on baby duty!  Seriously!!  And that was like immediately!  I do not know how she does it.  (well actually I do...constant movement!  LOL!!)  If I had the kids at that moment they would have been in serious jeopardy!!!

The girls left not long after we got home.  I immediately missed them:(  I don't see my kids nearly enough, through no fault of theirs or mine.  Its just the way it is.

Yesterday, Monday, was a busy people day.  Lyons landscaping came by a couple of times and we have worked out a good deal for keeping my outside looking good.  Its really necessary now that I am listing the place.

The real estate lady came by with a package for me and we clicked immediately.  Honestly our convo veered off into New Age Spirituality in a way that just never happens.  It was kind of amazing.  So because we both had encroaching appointments we decided to put a comma in it and get together soon for coffee and visit.  Awesome person!!!  I am aiming to list by the end of June.  Sigh!

Then I met Leanne, my awesome friend from the past (I used to babysit her) for dinner.  She and I just simply click.  She is an amazing woman and a truly amazing mother.  She is going through a very similar thing with an adult child of hers as I am going through with Monte.  We compared notes and suggestions and info.  We both are walking a very very delicate line between helping and enabling.  These two adults are not mentally deficient, they are mentally struggling with anxiety.

  At the moment neither can really work in the general world but they need to be independent.  Its hard.  At the same time we are doing everything humanly possible to help them wend their way through the mental health system to get real help.  I am going to hire her son when I get back from Vancouver on June 5th to help me get the house ready to list.  Thank God!!!  And he is such a sweetie!

Well I am off to the Annual General Meeting of the infamous amazing Kiwanians!!!  Yippeedoodle!!!!  TTYL
RUSTY (HAHA) SHOWING OFF THE MAC SALAD VEGGIES WE DICED UP.  THATS KATHY BACK THERE WITH THE COLOURFUL BALL CAP ON


WASHING THE VEGGIES

PEELING MANY BAGS OF CARROTS.  THE TWO PEOPLE ON THE LEFT, ELAINE AND ROGER, ARE THE TRUE MOVER AND SHAKERS OF THE KIWANIS GROUP.  WITHOUT THEM WE WOULD TRULY STRUGGLE.

LIKE I SAID "MAC SALAD TO THE POWER OF INFINITY"


SETTING UP THE TABLES

THIS IS RICK.  THIS SAINT OF A MAN RUNS THE KITCHEN.  EVERY SINGLE SUNDAY HE AND A CREW OF PEOPLE MAKE LUNCH FOR 150-200 PEOPLE.  HE IS TRULY INCREDIBLE.

GIANT FRIDGES HOLD GALLONS OF MAC SALAD!

2 comments:

  1. The townhouse is really kind of a neat layout. Its only an open carport though, could be cold in the winter for the room above it?snowy,windy in the winter with it being open.The bathrooms need gutting and carpets replaced, paint throughout, no air conditioning, monthly strata fees and putting up with close neighbors...otherwise, you could get it for less than asking. Low ball and see what happens maybe. Its an older complex and original single pane windows, has the furnace etc been replaced and serviced I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bedroom in North Van was over a carport and I liked the chilliness! I don't mind the bathroom the way it is. And I like the paint in the place. I doubt I would change it except to make the rec room downstairs purple. I don't have air conditioning now. the monthly fees are really low. The furnace is fairly new and the complex was reroofed not long ago. The only thing I would really worry about is the contingency fee. I need to see the size of it. Thanks for the heads up. All things to be checked for sure.

      Delete