Monday, April 27, 2015

TOO MUCH

First I want to respond to a comment on the last post.  Its about the Port Alberni place.  I didn't give Pat the five thousand to sell the place.  That money was to come out of the proceeds after the sale.  I feel so bad for him.  He is terribly poor and that money was going to mean so very much to him.  He was pretty despondent the last time I talked to him.

Next, the packers.  As I mentioned I wrote an email to the guy I originally dealt with.  I know that the movers won't unload the truck until I have paid for the move in whole.  So when he arrived yesterday, and I want to add that the movers Bekins hired was a father/son business and they were very very fine people.  The dad, John Sweeney, was the only one that drove up.  They hire swampers here locally.

So I invited him in and we talked for a bit.  I made coffee for us and then he took out the papers and we went over the bill.  As I thought, my load was almost a thousand pounds over the estimate.  But he said that they decided to only charge me the amount of the original estimate (and they didn't have to…it stated on the papers that if the load was heavier or lighter the cost would be adjusted up or down accordingly) and that THEY ONLY CHARGED ME FOR ONE DAY OF PACKING!!!  My final bill was 5700 which was the estimate plus 1600, one day packing.  Exactly what Skip told me.  I was so delighted!  It wasn't so much the money as the avoided battle I was pleased with.

There were only two real negatives with this move. One:  Jamie, the son, tried to get everything into the truck and not have to use the trailer.  In the end they had to use a trailer.  But right up till the end he tried to fit everything in.  And that meant he took every single thing I own apart.  He dismantled my gardening wagon into a hundred pieces, he dismantled every piece of furniture with legs, he has spread my kitchen aid throughout forty boxes, he combined boxes (mine from the garage).  I got the guys to put together what they could but holy hannah….we couldn't find legs and nuts and bolts and pieces and parts.  Not happy about that so much.

Two:  and this is the usual complaint I have..too freaking much stuff.  Even though three times I got rid of stuff in Victoria, I still have so many boxes every room in the house is so full you can't move.  You would never know that I moved from a four hundred foot smaller house to a bigger one. And I know why.  It was because of that stupid ass BAD garage down there.  Never ever again will I allow every box with every thing I own to be put into a garage.  That crap propagates when you aren't looking.  I didn't do that here.  I can still park in my garage.  

Now its about five in the morning and even though my house is now besmirched with 'stuff', it feels so good to be home.  Monte was saying that this house in this town already feels more like home than any house we have lived in since 725 in north van and we moved from there in 2008.  It really does feel homey.  And yesterday when I was in mid panic mode about the amount of boxes crammed into this house, my sister phoned and calmed me down and reminded me that once we start emptying and putting things away the boxes disappear very quickly.  Tis true. I think I just got a little too used to having an echoey empty house. I loved it!

The sunrise out my window is stunning!  And the birds are singing like crazy.  And the river snaking through the town is a bright orange reflection of the sky.  I love it here so much.  Now onward to opening all those 'presents' waiting for me out there.  TTYL

1 comment:

  1. You will be organized! Persevere! Don't give up! Hang in there! etc., etc, :]

    ReplyDelete