Wednesday, April 22, 2015

WHEW!!!

TUE:  Well they didn't show up until one.  Jeez!  So they got started and slowly plodded along.  I phoned the head guy earlier and he said "don't worry, it'll get done."  Then I asked how much an hour it was.  Again…don't worry.  So I didn't.  Big mistake!  Finally, at nine that night they were done (except they forgot to pack the main bathroom).  He had the paper work and calmly told me it would be 3,600.00.  HOLY SHIT!  I reacted very strongly and in shock!  He then told me they had worked sixteen hours at 200 bucks an hour.  TWO HUNDRED!!!!!  OMG!!  I had a fit then he got a little nasty….saying he had better get paid.

So this morning I emailed the original guy that gave me the first move estimate.  I can see that his estimate was based on eight hours, not sixteen.  So I asked my original guy for his opinion of the speed of the guys.  We will see.

Last nite as we were getting ready to leave, the newby packer was packing three old rickety pieces of stained glass panels I have, the kind that sit in windows.  It took him over a half hour.  That was one hundred dollars of time.  ONE HUNDRED BUCKS!!!  The glass isn't worth anything!  No common sense.

Wed:  Today we got to the house super early and the movers arrived at 8:30.  Long story short they did an amazing job of the loading.  Tetris to the power of infinity!!  But they still had to get a little trailer for the overflow.  They told me that the average household, not yet sifted through, is about 24,000 pounds.  Then, getting ready for a move, they whittle it down to an average of 12,000.  Monte's load was about 3000 pounds.  And mine ended up to be around 9000 pounds.  Good thing I got rid of so much!

Around three the junk guy showed up, thank God! I was worried there for a bit…he seemed so sketchy on the phone.  He came with a big pickup with huge sides built on the back and he completely filled it to overflowing.  I did the same thing in North Van.  What the hell!!!  How does that much stuff accumulate?  But accumulate it does!

But best of all my house sold!  And it sold for a pretty fair price.  Last night, anticipating that the buyers would want to knock off some of the price to fix the three things the inspector found, I googled approximate prices to fix them.  In the end I figured just under one thousand, if that.  They asked for TEN thousand!!!  We countered with five and they accepted.  So finally the damned place is sold!  I am so relieved and happy!

Now tomorrow morning, super early, Monte and I are going back to the place to clean it out.  Yay…what fun that will be.  Its mainly the floors.  The housekeeper was in today and completely cleaned the kitchen.  The bathrooms are pretty clean too.  So we shall dust off windowsills, sweep up garbage and problem solve the stuff left behind.  Our cars are already packed to the gills!  I think the garbage men will be even more pissed off next week after I fill the thing again and the new home owners will be left little gifts (like the ugly filing cabinet the junk guy forgot to take!)

So to bed with us now.  More excitement tomorrow…heading home!!!!  TTYL

2 comments:

  1. $3,600.00 are they on crack...obviously not if they move that slow. I 'd threaten reporting them to the BBB for the scam they have going, taking advantage of a woman and all. Play that card and see how they react. Don't take their crap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited and happy for you!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete