Wednesday, August 31, 2011

day 19 Torshaven, The Faeroes

Next to Israel, the Faeroe Islands has to be the most unbelievable place I have been on this whole planet. Wild, remote, uninhabited, cold, windy, scotch misty, stark and truly beautiful. Our guide was a rock musician, guitar player, and guided when the odd ship came in. Its very rare for them to have cruises come into their tiny place, especially one carrying 2500 eager passengers!

We went with a bus load of people out to the outer outer reaches of one of the islands. Talk about remote and lonely. There are 45,000 people and 78,000 sheep on these 18 islands that make up the Faeroes. Man I wish I could post pics. I will as soon as I get home.

After the bus part, we got off in the capital village (or willage as they say) and walked around, in and out of little shops. Their speciality here is wool. They knit everything from sweaters to covers for the park benches. Its amazing. We stopped in at a wee cafe for a panini and sheep beer. Mmmmmmm……………

As we sailed away towards Iceland, our intrepid captain (from Canada have I mentioned?) sailed through a tiny narrow passage that a large sailing ship has never gone through before. Imagine and I will try to paint a picture: six miles in length, one third of a mile across, barren cliffs on either side covered in mossy green grasses and lava rock, long haired wooly sheep clinging to the cliff sides, wee little sheep crofts also clinging to the cliffs, sheer drops into the ocean and the cliffs looked like they were close enough to touch, soaring way above our heads. No words.

I was so exhausted upon returning I almost couldn’t eat my dinner. We went up to our stateroom, left our drapes wide open to watch for northern lights and fell soundly asleep. A UFO could have drenched our room in brilliant light and abducted us and I would not have awakened! TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment