Tuesday, August 16, 2011

day 4 Berlin

Paleo was a FAIL today. I will get into that in a minute. But first I want to tell you about a passenger that came to my attention.

As you know,, if you know me at all, I am not a great fan of cruising passengers. For the most part they are not my cup of tea. And there are a few here ( I am trying to get pics to go with my description…not always easy) that I will definitely be writing about in the next few weeks. But this first one came to my attention the first day…and since that first day I have seen him numerous times. He came to my attention through his little boy. This little fellow would be about four, tiny and blond and he had the most adorable english accent. He was running around and sitting on the seats in the huge waiting area (in the cruise port) right beside us and talking away. Soon his dad, not a very big man, and very young, early twenties, came and gently and respectfully retrieved him to somewhere behind us.

Later, after we checked in and had gone up to the Lido, I noticed him again. He had his little boy with him, and he was behaving remarkably well, going through the cafeteria line. Somehow, the dad had managed to get a tray (they absolutely DO NOT use trays up there) and I wondered how he scored one…maybe because he had a kid? Later, while we were walking through the pool area tables, to our room, I saw the most extraordinary sight. Ever. I will never forget this.

The young man was sitting at their table. The little boy was in his seat, eating, talking a mile a minute. And pushed up to the table was mom, young, pretty, and in a permanent wheel chair. Her head was strapped back, her legs strapped down and upon watching a few moments, I could see her arms had some, but very little movement. And the young man was feeding her her dinner, mouthful by mouthful, talking to her (she can’t) talk properly, and helping his little boy and feeding himself, and feeding her and helping his little boy and eating himself.

I have seen them now numerous times. The little fellow has a wee scooter he uses. The dad says it keeps him up with them and the little guy can only use it if he stays beside them. They are travelling alone. So, take a moment and just think about what kind of life that young man has ,..all his duties and work, and he loves it. He is patient, kind, and so so loving. His wife was hit by a drunk driver on their way home from the hospital with their newborn. She was catastrophically injured. He is my hero.

Berlin was unbelievable. We have to come back and spend some time there. Every single thing we saw was amazing. I will put some pics on facebook. But……we went to this awesome brewery for lunch. I didn’t have beer, but I did have sauerkraut, sausage, meatloaf, pork knuckle and pretzel. Sooooooooooo good. There was a 3 hour train trip to and from Berlin from the port where we docked. It would have been relaxing…except a fight broke out between two of the passengers in our car. One of those women is such a cow that both Bill and I said something to her when we were walking back to the ship from the train. But I shall tell that one tomorrow! TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment