Wednesday, August 31, 2011

day 20 Hemingway and Rude people

Another stellar day on the ship. We are going pretty slowly so as to time our arrival in Iceland tomorrow morning correctly. The Captain has told us we will be heading into the dregs of Hurricane Irene. Lots and lots of wind and rain. So it looks like we will be doing Iceland from under either a hat or umbrella. I think I shall dig out my jeans tomorrow!

Lots of lectures today. Iceland, earth in our galaxy, Greenland and then Hemingway. Our lecturers are all semi famous and well educated. I have learned lots. But…

Whilst we were attending the Hemingway lecture, a couple sat down right behind us, which was fine. Until the lecture started. One of them does not speak a whole lot of English, so she was interpreting, which is great but she was doing it in a lOUD voice, so loud Bill was having trouble hearing the speaker.

So I tried the evil glare first. I would whip my head around, eye contact, baleful stare and turn back around. To no avail. So, I then tried whipping my head around, eye contact, and very dark unhappy frown. Still to no avail. Finally, I whipped my head around, eye contact and put my finger to my lips and did a loud SHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!. They just stare at me like a pair of stunned deer, but they were quiet for a few minutes, then started again. This time I turned around and point blank asked them to be quiet. In broken english she explained that she was interpreting. At which point Bill and I got up and moved way over out of earshot. I just overheard her telling her friend that they just bought tickets for the same tour we are going to be going on. They had better not be on our bus.

On another note, Bill is getting sick. It always starts with his hands getting and staying cold, as they have been for the last couple of days. I noticed yesterday that he wasn’t really eating and today his ass has been draaaaaaaaagggggging. He even took the elevator up one level…ONE!!! I will have to tuck him in early tonite as we have a really long busy day tomorrow, in the dregs of Irene! I can’t wait!!!!TTYL ps…please pardon missing little words and mistakes, my right eye has become so bad it is getting harder and harder to read properly. I hope they can fix it when I get home. Everybody take ten seconds right now to just stop and appreciate their vision! I took mine for granted and now look (or not in my case LOL!!!)……..I just had to go back and put the word eye between right and has! This double vision, and now blank spots is throwing me off!!

No comments:

Post a Comment