Sunday, November 3, 2013

A REMARKABLE FUNERAL

I am a little tipsy at the moment so my apologies if I TMI or spell wrong.

Firstly I want to say that I have the most incredible sister. She is truly the most amazing host, sister, aunt, mother, wife and daughter.  Really.  I do not know how she does it all.  I have watched her over the last few stressful busy emotional days and she has kept it all together and had us all on track at the same time.  I could only hope to be half the person she is.

The funeral was heartfelt and truly wonderful.  Aryn did the most moving job as 'celebrant' as they call it these days.  She wrote a beautiful eulogy and presented it in the most confident, moving and honest way possible.  I was so proud of her.  Six of her grandchildren got up and shared a special memory of their Oma and several people spoke of her as well.  Antonia, Stan's wife, read a beautiful poem by Rumi.  Monte said later, "I kind of held it together until I heard that poem and I couldn't help but cry."

There was a reception afterwards and I got to meet and greet some truly wonderful friends and family, some I have not had the privilege to see for many years.  It appears there were about 90 people there in total.   

When we were leaving the funeral director actually told me he hadn't seen such a lovely funeral in a long time.  It really was a celebration of Oma/Mom's life.

The rest of the day was spent at home with various relatives and friends and food and drinks.  Reconnection time in the best way.  

And then it was BEER PONG time!!!!  They have this game they play involving getting ping pong balls into plastic cups and then a whole bunch of rules and then we just had the best frigging time ever.  Kathy and Kerry played too.  There were about ten or twelve of us and I don't think I have ever laughed so hard, and I know I have NEVER drunk so much beer!!!!  So now I am like really tipsy and really tired.  Its the middle of the night and I shall now put me head down and go to sleep!  I am looking forward to tomorrow.  Goodnight and goodbye Mom.........


No comments:

Post a Comment