Sunday, October 13, 2013

SIGH!

I am trying so hard to get motivated..to no avail.  I sort of moped around yesterday and diddled with this and diddled with that.

  I remember years ago when I moved from Kamloops to Van.  I had loaded the largest budget truck you could rent, right to the gills.  My girlfriend and I did it all in one afternoon...including a freezer and a piano.  I packed in a ten yr old Aryn and 12 yr old Kevin, mom's dog Rachel (we were dog sitting) and early early in the morning we took off through the canyon.  We had to stop at every single town to gas that guzzler up. (they reimbursed me later).  

We arrived in Burnaby just before noon.  The men I had arranged to meet me...didn't show up! We had to return that truck that afternoon or be charged even more money.  So I started to unload the boxes, handing them to those two kids and telling them which part of the house to put it in.  Then we unloaded the furniture, all of it between the three of us.  Finally we were down to only the piano.  I had phoned some other guys from an ad in the classifieds and they showed up around four and put the piano in the basement.

We then unpacked, set up bedrooms, set up living room, the kitchen was already partially set up from me camping out there so the kitchen didn't take long.  I then made dinner and Kathy and Kerry came over around six and we had dinner.  Okay I am now tired just writing about that.  Those days are long long gone.  If it hadn't been for those two little kids I am not sure what I would have done.  We even unloaded the freezer.

I did get some kitchen boxes unpacked here but I can see that a lot of boxes are going to stay packed and in the garage.  But the garage is so full we can hardly function in there.  I just simply have nowhere to put all that stuff.  All our cupboards have absolutely nothing in them, no poles for hanging stuff, no shelves, no nuttin', because of painting.  We will be putting in closet systems but that is going to take a while. 

 But....I did sort of come up with an idea yesterday whilst we were solving other problems...like they don't have garbage pick up in Langford.  You have to hire a private company and upon research the cheapest we could find was 5.50 per garbage bag.  That might seem okay to most of you but this family, even with recycling everything, we have like ten garbage bags a week.  We took a whole truckload of garbage to that place yesterday and unloaded to all the right bins and places,  25 bucks.  I think we will be doing that each week...upside of that is there won't be the dreaded night before garbage day with Spod.  But..back to my idea....

I originally was going to make the main living area downstairs and keep the upstairs just for 'nice'.  So all the ratty furniture from our last living room went downstairs.  But it isn't feeling right.  At least not for right now.  We won't be doing the upstairs living room, or kitchen or whatever until the other house sells and spring comes.  So I think we will move that furniture upstairs and just be up here for the winter.  Of course that means that a fat old broad with a sore hip, Spod (need I say more) and a giant boy with bad bad feet have to move a couch and two armchairs upstairs.  But I feel good about this.  Its making me feel a little more motivated this morning.

Its turkey day today!  I made sure to unpack enough of the kitchen, all the important stuff, so I could make a turkey dinner.  Monte brought the turkey, a nice easy ten pounder and after dumping yesterday we sallied forth and got the right bread for stuffing from superstore and all the things necessary for a thanksgiving dinner.  So soon the house will smell good and we will have our old comfy couch and chairs up here with us.  All is good!  Have a lovely thanksgiving all of you and I hate to get maudlin here (shovel list) but lets take a moment and think about all those peeps out there that don't have this amazing opportunity to eat turkey with a family.  I love turkey and I love my family:)  TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment